Safety must be a top priority at your fire department. A major concern for any fire department is drug and alcohol use by the members. Workplace safety is severely affected when volunteers are responding or working after consuming alcohol, illicit drugs and illegally-obtained prescription medications.
- Are volunteer firefighters regularly responding to scenes after drinking?
- Have volunteers responded to the scene, clearly under the influence?
- Is alcohol being used on fire department property?
- Has drinking or impairment cause problems for your department?
- Does management condone impaired volunteers because, “we need the help?”
- Unfortunately, many fire departments across Missouri have not addressed alcohol use with regard to emergency responses or group events at the station.