By Neal A. Johnson, Unterrified Democrat Editor
Linn Fire Protection District (LFPD) firefighter Adam Strope, 23, was hospitalized last Wednesday after being shot in the foot at a house fire.
Chief Ron Hoffman explained that during the initial attack of the fire at 63 Daffodil Lane in Bonnots Mill, while throwing smoldering items out of a bedroom window to the yard, some popping occurred in the bedroom. Strope, unaware at first what had happened, exited the structure to discover that he had been shot in the foot by a .380 handgun that had “cooked” off from the heat. The pistol was located in a dresser drawer.
Strope was treated at the scene by fire personnel until ambulance crews arrived and was then taken to a local hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The department was dispatched to the fire at 7:31 a.m., and upon arrival, crews found a mobile home with fire spread throughout the structure.
Deputy Chief/Incident Commander Brian Leivian conducted the investigation and found that the fire started in the kitchen. The mobile home was deemed a total loss.
Two occupants were also taken to a local hospital, one for smoke inhalation and the other for smoke inhalation and first-degree burns. Hoffman said everyone is expected to have full recoveries.
The American Red Cross has put victims of the fire in a hotel for three days and given them food and clothing.